Tuesday, October 31, 2017

A Korean Visitor

After going out for lunch one day, I walked back into my office and discovered someone sitting on my desk, that is on my desk, not at it. The man was wearing what looked like a Korean dress uniform but I had no idea who he was or what his rank was. There were all sorts of insignias and things attached to his uniform but while they looked impressive, I did not know what any of them meant. His uniform was definitely not inspection ready, being a bit wrinkled, and also he needed a shave.

As I walked in, he slid off my desk and asked it I was in charge. I said that I was and asked what he wanted. I knew that he was authorized to be there, otherwise, he would not have gotten into the building. He said that he needed some specific information about an area that the Koreans were operating in. I sent an order out into the research room and got a comment back that it would take at least half an hour to find the data and put it the data into a report.

I got a spare chair and offered the man a cup of coffee. He sat down and started chatting while we waited. He was very interested in American sports and told me that he had lived in the US for more than a year. Then he said that he was very much taken with American women and told me some raunchy stories about his experiences in American bars. With all the expletives deleted, there would have hardly been any story left.

The report was finally finished so he took it and left, after thanking me for the report, the coffee, and the conversation.

About 20 minutes later, a Lieutenant from our administrative unit came in asked me if I had seen
Br. Gen. Yi Byong-chool, the commander of the Korean 2nd Marine Division. I said that some enlisted guy had come in and told me dirty stories but I had not seen any general. The LT asked me to describe the guy. When I did, the LT said that was the General and went running out to patch up the protocol.

No comments:

Post a Comment